Velkopopovický Kozel strengthened its number one position among Czech beers abroad
26 February 2009
Kozel's year-on-year sales outside Czech Republic increased by 5.6 percent.
Prague, February 2009 - Velkopopovický Kozel achieves repeated success on foreign markets. It sold nearly 1.8 million hl of beer abroad, which amounts to a 5.6 percent annual growth. There was nearly 1.7 million hl delivered under licence (+ 4.7 %). The largest increase in volume was in Russia, where 1.2 million hl of beer from Velké Popovice was sold.
Velkopovický Kozel's popularity abroad increased again last year. Foreign markets sold 1.8 million hl of Kozel in total, which is 5.6 percent more than in 2007. Licence production increased by 4.7 percent to 1.7 million hl. Velkopopovický Kozel beer sold best in the Russian market, where local consumers drank 1.2 million hl. The biggest increase in export was to Ukraine (+ 79 %), to Belarus (+ 37 %), Israel (+ 35 %) and Finland (+ 21 %), where last year's consumption was 37.5 thousand hl.
"We're glad that Velkopopovický Kozel's brand popularity abroad increases. This proves the quality of beer from Velké Popovice and the benefit of SABMiller's worldwide marketing and distribution support For example in Russia we successfully compete with both local and imported beers in the premium segment. Velkopopovický Kozel thus again confirmed its position of the top-selling Czech beer abroad," says Luděk Baumruk, manager of the Velkopopovický Kozel brand.
Kozel is currently the top-selling Czech beer brand outside of Czech Republic. It is available in 24 countries including e.g. Australia, Honduras or Transcaucasian republics.
Notes for editors:
- With total sales of 10.7 million hectoliters in the year 2008 (including the licence production abroad) and with exports to more than 55 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj is the leading beer producer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of SABMiller plc global group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship of the portfolio of SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller plc is one of the largest brewing companies worldwide with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across six continents. The group's brands include major international brands such as Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, and almost 200 successful regional and national brands. Outside the USA, SABMiller is also one of the largest producers and distributors of Coca-Cola products in the world.
- Velkopopovický Kozel is a distinguished brand within the portfolio of Plzeňský Prazdroj. It belongs to the most dynamic brands both in the Czech market and abroad. Moreover Velkopopovický Kozel Dark is the leader of the dark beer market in the Czech Republic. Established in 1874, this year the Velké Popovice brewery celebrates its 135th anniversary.
- The latest information on activities and projects supported by the Velkopopovický Kozel brand can be found at http://kozel.cz
PPAS Press agent
+420 724 617 219