Plzeňský Prazdroj: Company Highlights in 2012
29 January 2013
Plzeňský Prazdroj innovated and introduced a string of novelties:
- Gambrinus tap beer with a fuller taste and the name Gambrinus Original 10°
- Two new mixed beer–based drinks with a low 2.1 % alcohol content: Gambrinus Sharp Lemon and Gambrinus Lime & Elderberry
- Fénix, upper fermented beer with a fresh wheat malt aroma, a taste of orange peels and a dash of cilantro
- New variety of Frisco: Black Currant
- The best selling Czech beer, Gambrinus Originál 10° is available in 1.5l plastic bottles
- Gloomy Bitter lager Master: the first semi–dark beer in the history of Radegast brewery
Celebrating of 170th anniversary of Plzeňský Prazdroj and its beer Pilsner Urquell
- Various events took place the whole year/all year long, which culminated in a great celebration on the 5th of October at Pilsner Square in the Republic, where the unfiltered pilsner lager was poured from original 170–litre oak barrels.
- On the occasion of the anniversary the special jubilee "mugs", a beer clock next to the historical brewery gates and limited editions of gold and silver memorial medals were launched.
- A unique book "Pilsner Urquell - a story that continues to inspire", full of little-known information framed within the social realities of each period, was launched.
- Anniversary auction of seventeen uniquely designed bottles of Pilsner Urquell on iDnes.cz earned Centrum Paraple more than CZK 1 million.
Developing beer culture
- July: In Brno, the operation of the new Pilsner Urquell restaurant called "Plznička" was launched. The concept of these new restaurants will appeal especially to young adults not only as a pleasant place for hanging out, but also as a space to express themselves artistically.
- August: Plzeňský Prazdroj and Interspar companies will introduce a new concept in the presentation and resale of beer. The new concept offers a comfortable and sophisticated way to shop for beer with simple navigation and general information about beer, especially about PGI Czech Beer.
CSR and Sustainable development
- February: Sustainable development specialists from Radegast Brewery came up with a solution for the ecological handling of disposable labels. The waste is now used as a secondary raw material in compost production.
- August: Plzeňský Prazdroj inaugurated its new device used for partial dehydration of draff, which will be sent to Plzeň Heating Plant Inc. to be used to generate green energy.
- October: In its breweries in Pilsen, Plzeňský Prazdroj has initiated a trial period of a new device that will conserve electric energy. It uses so–called disposable cold from the beer cooling circuit.
- May: Pavel Konáš, for the quality assurance department of Plzeňský Prazdroj, became Taster of the Year in a competition with 21 European breweries of the SABMiller Group. The Czech contestant did not stumble in a competition of more than 200 professional tasters, and he has become the first Czech to win the title.
- September: The foreman of the coopers’ team at Plzeňský Prazdroj, Josef Hrůza, was awarded the title “Keeper of Traditional Folk Craft Artistry.”
- October: Plzeňský Prazdroj scored second place in the 10th annual survey contest “Employer of the Year.”
Success of Prazdroj beer brands in competitions:
- Australian Beer Awards: silver medal for Gambrinus Premium
- Pivex: 2nd Radegast Premium, 3rd Gambrinus Premium, 2nd Gambrinus Světlý
- České pivo: silver medals in their categories: Kozel světlý, Kozel Medium, Radegast Premium, Gambrinus Premium
o World Beer Awards: Birell awarded the best non-alcoholic beer.
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on 28th January 2013.