Brewery Museum Celebrates Anniversary By Exposition Expansion
2 April 2009
Plzeň - April 1st 2009 - For its 50th anniversary, the Brewery Museum in Plzeň prepares to expand its exhibition with more detailed history of all notable breweries in Plzeň. Thanks to an agreement with the city of Plzeň, the museum building is now connected to the historical underground of Plzeň. It will be fully opened during the 50th anniversary celebrations of the founding of the Brewery Museum between the 8th and 10th of May 2009. But beginning 1st April, it is possible to visit the underground daily between 10 and 18 o'clock.
Under a recently signed contract with the City of Plzeň Public Property Administration, the Plzeň historical underground was put into keeping of Plzeňský Prazdroj, which intends to return all proceeds from the underground sightseeing circuit back to improving of this exhibit and its marketing support. As the owner of the underground, the city renewed the historical entrance from the Brewery Museum cellars.
Connecting the underground to the Brewery Museum wasn't technically complicated, since the connection used to be there before and only an old walling-in of the historical tunnel was removed. The entryway was modified for visitors' comfort, and lighting and safety features were added. The connecting tunnel is narrow and allows only one-way movement. Therefore a special signalization was installed, ensuring safe movement of the groups of visitors.
"After the addition of the sightseeing circuit in the Plzeň historical underground, we want to draw on the experience of running a successful tourist destination, raise awareness of Plzeň historical underground and strengthen the tourist attractiveness of Plzeň city center for visitors from all over the world," says Jindřiška Eliášková from Plzeňský Prazdroj.
"In the historical underground exposition, we will introduce procedures and processes that are successful in our current floors and routes. We are introducing an online reservation system and the guide commentary is available in all the main world languages," adds Jindřiška Eliášková.
The connection to the historical underground is a symbolic gift for the 50th anniversary of founding of the Brewery museum that will be celebrated between the 8th and 10th of May 2009 in the Brewery Museum and Plzeň historical underground. The celebrations will include a ribbon cutting ceremony at the entrance to the Plzeň historical underground from the Brewery Museum building.
For its jubilee 50th season, the Brewery Museum also prepared a new exposition dedicated to the history of Plzeň brewing industry development at the turn of 20th century. The visitors will find out not only about the history and fame of the Burgess' brewery, but they will also learn much valuable information about the past and present of Gambrinus brewery and former Plzeň breweries Světovar and Prior.
Notes for editors:
- The Brewery Museum is the only expert establishment of its kind in Czechia. It documents the history of beer from its beginnings in ancient times, but mostly preserves historical objects and visual documentation of Czech brewing history.
- It was opened in 1959 on the 100th anniversary of the "Pilsen Beer" trademark. This year it celebrates 50 years of existence. The idea of establishing the Brewery Museum is however much older and dates back to 1929. The concept and scope of the exposition are unique on a worldwide scale.
- The museum's goal is to document and map brewing history without territorial delimitation. The exhibit shows brewing history from ancient to modern times. It describes to the visitors methods of beer preparation and consumption in ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt, as well as European cultures of Greeks, Romans, Germans, Celts and Slavs. It also offers information about beginnings and evolution of Czech brewing and associated crafts and technologies.
- The Brewery museum in Plzeň is located in the original licensed brewing house maintained in its authentic appearance.
- More than 40,000 guests from the whole world visit the Brewery Museum each year.
• The Brewery Museum engages in expert, publication and scientific activities. Furthermore it organizes and attends various cultural, educational and presentational events.
+420 724 617 219