Jiří Dopita brews lager in Nošovice brewery for Radegast Day (Translation)
18 August 2011
Nošovice, August 16, 2011 - The Radegast brewery in Nošovice welcomed a special guest on Monday. Jiří Dopita, an Olympic winner and three-time ice hockey world champion, came to see the brewing process of lager, which is usually served unfiltered during the celebration of Radegast Day. He tried out the process used for hops batching and tested the finished brew at the end of the brewing process. Radegast Day is one of the biggest attractions of the Moravian-Silesian region. Every year more than 20,000 visitors come to visit. This year the celebration starts on Saturday, September 10, at 9:00 am.
In the brewery, Jiří Dopita got acquainted with the process of brewing lager, which is being prepared by Nošovice brewers for the celebration of Radegast Day again this year. He participated during the hops batching process, which is an inseparable part of this special brewing process. During hops batching, the correct amount of hops is prepared and then added to the beer batch during the brewing process according to a special formula. Furthermore, it is important to check, under the watchful eye of the head brewer, the finished brew, which later develops into unfiltered lager.
"It was a very special experience. I am really glad that I could try out the hops batching firsthand, as well as the testing of the finished batch," said the winner of the Nagano Olympics, Jiří Dopita.
The unfiltered lager Radegast is characterised by its potent bite and notable bitterness. It is also known for its beer-yeast cell aroma and yeast opacity. Visitors of the Radegast Day celebrations will enjoy this brew on Saturday, September 10. They can also look forward to four stages offering endless entertainment, where many well-known Czech musicians will present their shows.
"This year, Radegast will call on his tribe to break the records. Visitors will see duelling men trying to beat one another and rise to a new level themselves. More information will be available at the end of August. I can also disclose that visitors may expect a big surprise," said the manager of the Radegast brand, Marek Málek.
Jiří Dopita is an owner of the premier league club HC Olomouc. In the upcoming season, the 42-year-old player will also be an active member of the team. He has had a long and very successful hockey career. "I like the idea behind this year's Radegast Day because record- breaking is a welcome challenge for me as well," said Jiří Dopita.
Notes for editors:
- Radegast, one of the most modern breweries in the Czech Republic, has produced beer since 1970.
- Radegast has been a member of the biggest Czech brewing group, Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc., since 1999.
- It produces more than 2 million hectolitres of beer a year and employs about 250 people.
- The brewery produces "classic Czech lager" type of beer, and it is also makes high-quality malt, which is produced in its own on-site malthouse.
- In 2008, the brewery produced its 10 billionth beer.
- With total sales of nearly 10 million hectolitres during the calendar year 2010 (including licensed production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the prominent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is a member of SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc is one of the world's biggest beer brewing companies, with brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller's brand group includes such important brands as Pilsner Urquell, Miller Genuine Draft, Grolsch, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and many other successful regional brands.
Phone: 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [15/08/2011].