Plzensky Prazdroj Sales Growth Driven Mainly by Exports
15 August 2007
2007 HY SALES VOLUMES EXCEED 4.5 MIL. HL, UP 5.4% YEAR-ON-YEAR
Plzensky Prazdroj, a leading Czech brewer, reports its half-year sales results today. Domestic and export combined sales volumes exceeded 4.5 mil. hectolitres, reflecting a year-on-year increase of 5.4%. Sales were driven mainly by export volumes with an increase of 12.5% year-on-year.
Plzensky Prazdroj thus confirmed its position as the largest beer exporter in the Czech Republic. The total volume of Plzensky Prazdroj’s brands exported abroad (i.e. exclusive of the licensed productions) grew by 12.5%, reaching 430,000 hectolitres in the first half-year 2007. Pilsner Urquell, major export brand, recorded 11% increase year-on-year. The key export markets remain Germany, USA and Slovakia however some new countries have been added to Plzensky Prazdroj’s export map, such as Albania, Georgia and Montenegro.
Domestic sales growth was 4.8% compared to the 1st half-year 2006 – in line with the Czech beer market overall development. The sales of the Czech “bestseller” Gambrinus reflected 2.2% growth in H1 of 2007, while international premium brand Pilsner Urquell grew by 4% in the Czech Republic.
"Our sales results are satisfactory, in line with the market development. A positive contribution to the success of our brands was, along with our marketing and trade marketing activities, the early start of the ‘summer’ season. Sales during the unusually warm and sunny spring 2007 saw a very strong performance. Thanks to the warm weather, typical holiday and ‘barbeque’ types of packaging grew significantly in the first half-year, i.e. cans (+17%) and multipacks (+65%)”, says Otakar Binder, Sales & Distribution Director, Plzensky Prazdroj, a.s..
The most significant facts and trends of H1 2007
- Exports grew by 12.5% with key markets stable growth and new markets added
- Domestic sales increased by 4.8%, in line with the market development
- Overall half-year sales volumes exceeded 4.5 million hectolitres
- The brewers’ peak season has commenced early with exceptionally warm and sunny spring (April-May).
Notes for editors
- With total sales of more than 10.7 million hectolitres in the calendar year 2006 and exports to more than 50 countries throughout the world, Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s., is the leading beer producer in the region and the largest exporter of Czech beer
- Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of the global group SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship of the portfolio of SABMiller brands Plzensky Prazdroj, a. s.
- SABMiller, plc, is one of the world’s largest brewers with brewing interests or distribution agreements in over 60 countries across six continents. The SABMiller brand portfolio consists of international brands such as Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, as well as of many other successful regional brands. Outside the U.S., SABMiller is one of the world’s largest producers and distributors of Coca-Cola products. In the financial year ending on 31 March 2007 the Company showed revenues of USD 18.620bn, and pre-tax profits in the amount of USD 3.591bn.
+420 724 617 219