Věra Pálová Made the Best Christmas Bread
10 December 2013
Velké Popovice, December 9, 2013 – Many local citizens and tourists came to enjoy the festive holiday atmosphere of Velké Popovice brewery and local pub Kozlovna during Billy-Goat’s Christmas Day. Besides the Velké Popovice Nativity Scene and Christmas carols, visitors also admired the best Christmas bread from the Popovice Region, entered into the contest by Miss Věra Pálová. The tour, complete with unfiltered Velkopopovický Kozel beer, was enjoyed by the many tourists that day.
Billy-Goat’s Christmas and the contest for the best Christmas Bread of the Region are a traditional part of advent time at Velké Popovice brewery. Public voting decided the winner of the third year of the contest after the look, smell and taste of all 8 submissions were evaluated. The winner is Věra Pálová, who used a traditional family recipe that will be shared on the brewery website and in the next Velké Popovice Newsletter. “The right Christmas bread, the symbol of Czech Christmas, must smell beautifully, it must be tender and moist. We invest a lot of love into making it at our home. The traditional, generational-tested recipe, made with only the best materials and lots of love, these are the guarantees of success for any meal made,” Věra Pálová summarized.
For her honest culinary efforts, the winner took home a package of Velkopopovický Kozel beer, a voucher to Velkopopovická Kozlovna and a gift basket from Billy-Goat’s Gift shop. “As we did during the last two years, we have also rewarded one of the 48 voters, Miss Eva Papánkova, who is taking home with her a set of original Billy-Goat’s half litre beer glasses,” said Eva Kršňáková of Velké Popovice brewery.
The entire afternoon, visitors took part in creating the traditional Velké Popovice Nativity Scene in Kozlovna. Under the watchful eye of an experienced baker they added to the wooden frame, creating the Christmas Eve scene from Bethlehem using handmade and hand-decorated gingerbread cookies. As a reward, all participants took home one professionally decorated cookie. The gingerbread Nativity Scene will be placed in an honourary display in the Visitors Centre of the brewery for the duration of the Christmas Holidays.
On the tour of the brewery, visitors to Billy-Goat’s Christmas had a chance to enjoy a trip through the brewery’s rich history enriched with Christmas stories, delicious unfiltered beer served in the brewery’s cellars, a walk through a lit tunnel, the legendary live mascot and many other attractions.
Note for editors:
- The first batch of beer was brewed in Velké Popovice brewery on December 15, 1874, and just one year later, 18 000 hl of beer were brewed and sold. Only few years later, the brewery became the third biggest brewery in the country. They were famous especially for their dark, heavy beer.
- Velkopopovický Kozel brand is irreplaceable on today's beer market. It is a brand with the most dynamic rise on Czech as well as foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Dark is the leader among dark beer brands on Czech beer market, and the bestselling Czech beer abroad.
- Velké Popovice brewery is a part of Plzeňský Prazdroj Company since 1999.
- There is a restaurant “Velkopopovická Kozlovna” right in the brewery area. The restaurant offers Czech cuisine and a wide assortment of tap beer – especially exceptional 11 degree Velkopopovický Kozel Medium tapped directly from the brewery tanks.
- Visits of the brewer are supported by a number of cultural events that take place there every year. The most important is The Day of Kozel taking place every June.
- With its total sale of 9,9 millions of hectoliters during the calendar year of 2012 (including licensed productions abroad) and with its export to more than 60 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the prominent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of the Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the member of SABMiller plc. group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller’s brand group include 200 beer brands such as world renown Pilsner Urquell, Miller Genuine Draft (draught), Grolsch, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Miller Genuine Draft (draught) and Grolsch, as well as local brands such as Aguila (Columbia), Castle (South Africa), Miller Lite (USA), Snow (China), Victoria Bitter (Australia), and Tyskie (Poland).
Press contact of Plzeňský Prazdroj Comp. Kateřina Krásová is available to media at:
Mobile: +420 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on December 9th, 2013.