Employee of the Year in the Velké Popovice Brewery Prefers Eating Willow Tree Leaves
31 December 2012
Velké Popovice, 31 December 2012 – With the end of the year approaching, the brewery in Velké Popovice has announced the recipient of the Employee of the Year award – a veteran worker, Olda the goat. Olda has worked in the Visitors’ Centre division since 2004. He is the only employee who can pride himself on 100% work attendance during the entire year, including weekends. A jury of experts with Karel Kraus, the marketing manager of Pilsner Urquel at its head, conferred the award unanimously.
Olda the goat has worked over eight years in the central Bohemian village Velké Popovice. In 2012, he has finally received the award he deserves for his hard work, especially for his goodwill and devotion to the Velkopopovický Kozel brand. “I started to notice that the award was in the making already in the summer when they built for me a new office with a paddock and a fully equipped cottage,” says Olda proudly. He is the only employee with year-round working hours, including weekends and bank holidays. It is on these days in particular that Olda shoulders the burden of representing the brewery well.
The brewery star has his personal assistant who takes care of his physical and mental needs. The keeper makes sure that Olda’s meals are well-balanced, in order to keep his hair nice and shiny. He is also in charge of the implementation of Section 9 of the employment contract that stipulates “the he-goat has the right to a female companion once a year.” Olda’s last partner was a goat lady from the distant village of Otice by Miličín. The brewery has a strong interest in Olda’s positive disposition as he is in daily contact with visitors of the brewery Visitors’ Centre. The goat‘s residence is the second stop of the official brewery tour, right after the beer degustation. “We often have Olda’s enthusiastic fans wanting to take a picture with him. Because this means a lot of media stress and public attention, he has to look good and be well-disposed at all times as much as celebrities do,” shares with us Eva Kršňáková, the Visitors’ Centre manager.
Olda the goat became the very first Employee of the Year award-holder amongst those employed in the same line of work. He has been “officially” on the payroll of the department of Tourism and Heritage, section 110360 in Velké Popovice.
Ph.: +420 724 617 886
Ph.: +420 601 381 819
Notes for editors:
- The first batch of beer was made in the Velké Popovice brewery on December 15, 1874. After only a year, the brewery produced and sold 396,000 gallons (UK) of beer (18,000 hl). Several years later, the brewery became the third largest in the country, famous for its strong, dark beer.
- Velkopopovický Kozel is a brand with a firm position on the beer market. It has one of the most dynamic growth curves in both Czech and foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Černý is the leader amongst dark beers in the Czech Republic and, at the same time, the best-selling Czech beer brand abroad.
- Since 1999, the brewery in Velké Popovice has been a part of Pilsner Urquell.
- With total sales of more than 217.8 million gallons (9.9 million hl) in 2011, including the licenced production abroad, and exports worldwide to over 50 countries, Pilsner Urquell, Inc. is the leading beer producer in the region. It is also the biggest exporting company of Czech beer.
- Pilser Urquell, Inc. is a member of the group SABMiller plc. It is the international flagship of the SABMiller portfolio.
- SABMiller plc is one of the world biggest brewing companies worldwide whose brewing and distributing activities stretch over more than 60 countries and six continents. SABMiller group features important international brands, such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, in addition to almost 200 other successfull regional and national brands.
- Current information about activities and projects supported by the brand Velkopopovický Kozel can be found at www.kozel.cz
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on 31st December 2012.