Traditional Gingerbread Baking Contest in Museum of Beer Brewing
4 December 2012
Plzeň, December 3, 2012 – The Museum of Beer Brewing is once again the location of the popular 9th annual contest for the most beautiful Christmas gingerbread cookie or other gingerbread creation. The sweet aroma of the contestants’ creations will enhance the Christmas atmosphere from November 24th to December 18th. During this time, they will have the chance to win many interesting prizes. The age spectrum of the contestants shows that in Pilsen, the tradition of baking and decorating Christmas gingerbread cookies is successfully passed on from generation to generation.
“We are pleased to see that our contest for the most beautiful gingerbread cookie is not only attended by the long-time experienced master bakers but by all generations. With their creations, many young contestants prove that this lovely tradition has been passed on,” said Tereza Eisenreichová of Plzeňský Prazdroj. “Last year, 200 gingerbread creations were very tastefully crafted, including not only traditional Christmas and winter motifs, such as snowflakes, bells, houses, horses and the nativity scene, but also beer brewing motifs,” she added.
To participate, one must simply bring their creation to the box office of the Museum of Beer Brewing no later than Tuesday, December 18th, which is the contest deadline. Even collectively produced creations are welcome. The contest will be divided into three categories: traditional Christmas gingerbread cookie, gingerbread creation, and children creation. Contestants will receive an invitation to the winner’s announcement event. The jury will select the winner, and he or she will receive an attractive prize. The gingerbread cookies will then be on display in the Museum of Beer Brewing until December 31st.
The contest for the best gingerbread cookies has attracted contestants for nearly a decade.
Last year’s winners:
Traditional gingerbread cookie: Anna Haldová for her round table decoration
Gingerbread creation: Marie Doláková for her reindeer sleigh and little house
Children creation: Bára and Vítek Máškovi for a set of gingerbread cookies with Christmas motifs and Adéla Šilhánková for her colourful comet
The jury has awarded two special prizes:
To Vlaďka Zapletalíková for her candleholder with a little church and fountain
To Libuše Kokošková for her creation called “Inferno”
Notes for editors
- Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery activities for visitors include the Visitors Centre, Pilsner Urquell and Gambrinus visitors’ tours, the Beer Brewing Museum, and the Plzeň Historic Underground in the centre of the town.
- You can get inspired to visit by visiting www.prazdrojvisit.cz first. The website is dedicated to information about the visitors’ tours, and about all services offered by the brewery to its visitors.
- Besides Czech, English, and German, visitors may also hear the tour narratives in French, Chinese, and Russian.
- The brewery's also offers access to the social and cultural centre Secese, which is available for organising various celebrations, and cultural, educational, or presentation functions.
- The Beer Brewing Museum is located in the original house-with-the-rights-to-brew-beer on Veleslavínova Street, which has been preserved in its original and authentic shape. The Museum first opened in 1959 as a part of the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the trademark “Plzeňské pivo” (Plzeň beer).
- An 800 metre-long tour of the Plzeň Historic Underground is accessible from the Beer Brewing Museum. The labyrinth of pathways, cellars, and wells was built under the Town of Plzeň back in the14th century, and they are closely connected with the history and the present of the town.
- In 2010, 226,000 visitors from all around the world visited the brewery, the Beer Brewing Museum, and the Underground. The Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery itself is considered to be the most attractive tourist destination in the Czech Republic.
- The Department of Tourism and Cultural Heritage Care of Plzeňský Prazdroj is responsible for visitor tours, tourism, and the sale of souvenirs in Velké Popovice and Radegast breweries. In 2010, all tourist destinations and points of interest under the care of Plzeňský Prazdroj welcomed more than 250,000 visitors in total.
+ (420) 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on 3rd December 2012.