Visit Plzeňský Prazdroj and Get a Gold Commemorative Medal (Translation)
4 October 2012
Plzeň, October 2, 2012 – As part of the celebration of the 170th anniversary of the brewery’s existence and the brewing of the first batch of Pilsner Urquell beer, Plzeňský Prazdroj and Pilsen Transportation Authority Inc. announced a unique and time-limited event for all Pilseners - “GET TO KNOW YOUR PLZEŇ.” From October 5 2012 to March 31 2013, all Pilsen Card holders are being given the opportunity to learn about the history of the Pilsen beer brewing tradition during tours of the Prazdroj and Gambrinus breweries and the Beer Brewing Museum for a discounted anniversary price. Visitors may also join the contest for silver and gold commemorative medals that have been issued to mark the 170th anniversary of Plzeňský Prazdroj.
The project “GET TO KNOW YOUR PILSEN” offers all Pilsen Card holders the chance to go on the Prazdroj and Gambrinus brewery tours for a discounted price from October 5 2012 to March 31 20113
“Pilsner Urquell beer was born in Pilsen and it is tightly connected with the town. The town gave the beer its name and the beer gave the town its world fame. Therefore, we would like to celebrate the 170th anniversary of the brewery by giving Pilseners the exclusive opportunity to re-live stories of the Pilsen beer brewing history, and to learn about Pilsen legends - Pilsner Urquell and Gambrinus - at the place of their birth for the anniversary-discounted price. With the event “GET TO KNOW YOUR PILSEN,” we should be able to make brewery tours and Beer Brewing Museum visits for Pilseners more accessible. Both attractions bring to Pilsen more than a quarter of a million visitors from all around the world. To give Pilseners something extra in this anniversary year, we offer them the opportunity to join the contest for silver and gold commemorative medals,” Jindřiška Eliášková, Director of Tourism and Historic Heritage of Plzeňský Prazdroj, said. “We have invited Pilsen Transportation Authority Inc. to be our partner, and they have already made the event a part of their Pilsen Card Bonus Program,” Jindřiška Eliášková added.
For the special price of 170,- CZK (about 8.50 USD), all Pilsen Card holders may purchase a special tour passport that authorises the holder to see all three named attractions of Plzeňský Prazdroj until March 31 2013. The regular price of combined entrance to all three tours is 310,- CZK (about 15.50 USD).
After each tour, visitors will receive a stamp in their special passports, and those who are 18 years of age or older may join the contest for limited edition commemorative medals that Plzeňský Prazdroj has prepared to celebrate the 170th anniversary of the brewery and the Pilsen Urquell premium lager. Each 170th visitor who hands in his passport with all three stamps collected will get a silver commemorative medal, and each 1,700th visitor will get a gold Plzeňský Prazdroj medal.
Plzeňský Prazdroj had the limited edition medals issued in the famous Czech Mint in Jablonec nad. Czech sculptor Professor Jiří Harcuba, the living legend of Czechoslovakian and Czech mint art, adorned the medals with his design. Lubomír Lietava skilfully engraved the medals. The medal shows not only the Brewery’s Gate seal but also the likeness of Václav Mirwald, one of the brewery’s founders.
The gold medal is 19mm in diameter, is made from gold and weighs 3.49 g. Each medal is uniquely numbered from 1 to 170, and the price of one medal is 9 500,- CZK (about 4875.00 USD). The price of one silver medal with a diameter of 4 mm and a weight of 16g of sterling silver is 1 500,- CZK (about 750.00 USD). Minted commemorative medals are a unique feature in Plzeňský Prazdroj’s heritage, and they offer the winners the unique opportunity to own this piece of the Pilsen brewery history, and they offer collectors the chance to expand their collections.
With the event “GET TO KNOW YOUR PILSEN,” Plzeňský Prazdroj has become the exclusive partner of the Pilsen Card Bonus Program. The Bonus program is a continuation of the Pilsen Card project that offers its holders the chance to take advantage of many interesting discounts and other privileges.
More information about the tours, contest rules, and prices are available in Visitors Center of Plzeňský Prazdroj, and in Beer Brewing Museum. You can also find all details at www.prazdrojvisit.cz.
Notes for editors:
- With its total sale of nearly 9.9 million hectolitres during the calendar year of 2011 (including licenced productions abroad) and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the preeminent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of the Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the member of SABMiller plc. group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest beer brewing companies with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller portfolio includes important international Brands such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 successful regional and national brands
- Pilsen Card is a multifunction chip card issued by Pilsen Transportation Authority Inc. since 2004. Holders of the card may use it for the services of town and region public transportation and more, i.e.as a library card in Pilsen Public Library, to pay for parking at town parking lots, etc. Pilsen card Bonus Program is a continuation project aimed at providing the holders of the Pilsen Card with additional services and goods from commercial partners in Pilsen. Complete information about the card and all its functions and benefits is available at www.plzenskakarta.cz.
- Pilsen Card was awarded a prize for the best public transportation card in Czech Republic 2012 as a part of the Mastercard Company project Czech Centers of Development 2012.
+420 724 617 219
Pilsen Transportation Authority Inc.
+420 724 901 453
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [02/10/2012].