Beer carriers take over Svatý Kopeček (Translation)
12 July 2011
Olomouc, July 9, 2011 - The road from Velká Bystřice to Svatý Kopeček was taken over by beer carriers. As part of the "Radegast Carrier from Olomouc" competition, carriers hauled barrels filled with beer. A team from Bestřica won the competition for two-member teams. They walked 5 kilometres with 65 kilograms on their backs in a respectable time of 1 hour, 1 minute and 17 seconds.
"This year, due to extreme heat, the competition was really demanding. But we believed in a good result. Strong will and mutual support gave us the strength to make it to the end. Radegast Carrier from Olomouc is a competition for real men," said Tomáš Langer, representative of the Bestřica team. He and Jakub Nečesaný split the main prize of 240 Radegast beers.
One hundred daring people set out to compete on this strenuous track. Each team that arrived within the time limit of 120 minutes got 60 Radegast beers for their effort. The majority of carriers who came to the starting line fulfilled the difficult task. Only two teams were not successful.
During the summer season, the towns of Zlín and Ostrava will also witness a competition of beer carriers.
Notes to editors:
- The Radegast brewery, one of the most modern breweries in the Czech Republic, has been brewing beer since 1970.
- Since 1999, Radegast brewery has been part of the largest beer conglomerate in the Czech Republic, belonging to Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s.
- Yearly, it produces more than 2 million hectolitres of beer with the help of approximately 250 employees.
- It produces beer called "classic Czech lager," and it also produces high-quality malt in its own malt house.
- In 2008, the brewery brewed its 10 billionth beer.
- With total sales of close to 10 million hectolitres in the 2010 calendar year (including licensed production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj a. s. is the leading producer of beer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s., is a member of the SABMiller PLC Company. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller PLC is one of biggest beer companies in the world, with activities and distribution in more than 60 countries on six continents. In its group of brands SABMiller includes important international brands such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, and close to 200 successful regional and national brands.
Public Relations Officer
Ph. no: 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [09/07/2011].