Industrias La Constancia believes in the future of El Salvador (Translation)
22 March 2011
Opening of new corporate headquarters on Avenida Independencia
The opening of Industrias La Constancia's new headquarters in the historical location of the brewery, in front of Reloj de Flores, is a symbol of the company's commitment to El Salvador.
Thursday March 17, 2011. After 8 decades, Industrias La Constancia (ILC) has centralised its operations once again on Avenida Independencia in San Salvador, where it moved in 1928 from Santa Ana.
"This is a very important day for all of us as members of the Industrias La Constancia family. It is a day that fills us with satisfaction not only because we are returning to a historical location, but also because we are writing a new page in our company's history," said the president of Industrias La Constancia, Habencio Carlos Fernandez, in his opening statement.
The president of the republic, Mauricio Funes, attended the inauguration of the new ILC headquarters and sent a message to the company's employees. Afterwards, he attended the official symbolic ribbon-cutting ceremony and blessing of the facilities.
From ILC's perspective, the return to its original home represents a bet on the future of its operations in El Salvador, and on the development of the communities surrounding the area of Avenida Independencia.
The infrastructure of the new ILC headquarters retains all the details the original 1920s building had, a contemporary of the Western Railway Station, with a completely colonial style which is a part of the country's historical legacy.
In his message, the president of ILC stressed that the company "shares the need for a more united country, where the government, corporate, labour and intellectual sectors can build a better present and a better future together."
Additionally, he noted the need to continue working on maintaining a framework of freedom and stability for investment and job creation, in which dialogue is the unifying element that enables committed companies, such as ILC, to contribute towards the country's development.
ILC is a company that generates economic, social and environmental development in Salvadorian society, where about 65,000 distributors and retailers (mostly micro and small entrepreneurs) find dynamism for their business.
ILC's economic contribution to El Salvador:
- 2,800 direct and indirect jobs
- $85.4 million paid in taxes in 2010
- $37.2 million in payment of wages and benefits (more than double the national average) with a strong commitment to respect for human rights and labour laws
- $145 million in purchases of domestic products and services
ILC: a world-leading operation
ILC is a subsidiary of the most admired brewer worldwide, SABMiller, which has plants in 60 countries around the world. It's now ranked as number one in efficiency among 125 plants, positioning El Salvador as the operation with the best sustainable manufacturing practises worldwide.
Another of ILC's achievements is having Jose Luis Magana as part of our staff. He is the third-ranked sommelier in the world and an example of the success Salvadorians can attain with effort, hard work and dedication.
A business model committed to the sustainable development of El Salvador
ILC has a corporate policy that guides the economic, social and environmental aspects of its actions, through a model shown in its Sustainable Development Policy.
In the area of economic development, ILC has for decades been an engine of progress and employment for thousands of Salvadorians.
In social areas, the focus is on the promotion of peaceful coexistence through sports, art and recreation. In the area of environmental impact, ILC seeks its operations to be environmentally friendly, through eco-efficiency and protecting the country's natural resources.
In addition to these three areas of focus, we believe it is fundamental to promote the responsible consumption of our beers.
Note to the editor:
Industrias La Constancia (ILC) is a subsidiary of SABMiller in El Salvador, which has two plants in the country.
Its presence in El Salvador dates back to 1906, when it was founded in the department of Santa Ana. In 1928 it moved its operations to the capital.
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [17/03/2011].