MillerCoors and Matthew Shepard Foundation Partner to Help Erase Hate
27 November 2008
Golden, Colo. (Nov. 25, 2008) MillerCoors has teamed up with Judy Shepard to support the Matthew Shepard Foundation (MSF) and its ongoing commitment to ensure that dealing with hate is a top priority in our schools and workplaces. MillerCoors, a national sponsor of MSF, announced it will match 100% of the first $10,000 in donations through the Campaign to Erase Hate website https://iconnect.sabmiller.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.matthewshepard.org/.
"Through our on-going commitment to the Matthew Shepard Foundation, we hope we can be part of the solution for erasing hate in our society," Doug Sanborn, MillerCoors brand manager, LGBT, said. "Through this matching funds campaign, we hope to raise awareness and raise crucial funding needed to equip individuals with the necessary tools to discuss and address hate issues," he added.
Judy Shepard is the mother of Matthew Shepard - the victim of a hate crime -- and director of the MSF. She said that education, awareness and advocacy are key to erasing hate in schools, workplaces and communities. "What we are trying to do is give this great work a structure and create a community of individuals who are using their voices and talents to address these issues," Shepard said.
According to Sanborn, MillerCoors was one of the first companies to step up to the Campaign's challenge through a $25,000 matching fund donation. He noted that MillerCoors also has a long history of support in the LGBT communities it serves. For example:
- Worked on Capital Hill with the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the MSF to try to pass the Matthew Shepard Act and Employment Non-Discrimination Act (EDNA).
- Received a 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for five years in a row.
- First company in the alcohol beverage industry to provide domestic partner benefits.
- MillerCoors supports many gay and lesbian organizations and events. In addition to the MSF, MillerCoors supports the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Gay Pride Week, the Gay Softball World Series, National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce and the Human Rights Campaign, and many others.
- MillerCoors supports non-profits working with people living with and affect by HIV and AIDS.
- It is MillerCoors policy that we do not discriminate against employees or potential employees on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- MillerCoors has lesbian and gay employee affinity groups. These groups offer educational, social and support opportunities for its members and all MillerCoors employees.
The MSF is dedicated to 'Erasing Hate' through education, advocacy and awareness. The MSF is the voice for inclusive hate crimes legislation and works to empower and ensure the safety of gay, transgender and allied youth. For more information about the Campaign to Erase Hate, please visit https://iconnect.sabmiller.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.matthewshepard.org/ and https://iconnect.sabmiller.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.matthewsplace.com/.