Plzeňský Prazdroj Lights Up Using Smart Technologies
5 December 2012
Plzeň, December 4, 2012 – Plzeňský Prazdroj is renovating the lighting in its Pilsen breweries. The brewery will save 198,000 kWh of energy by updating 257 light fixtures and by installing smart dimming technology. The savings will be equal to the yearly energy consumption of nearly 400 regular households. It is one of the steps that will bring the brewery closer to its goal of conserving 15% of its total energy use by the year 2020.
The innovative project is focusing on the lighting of warehouses and parts of bottling houses. The new fixtures consist of new generation fluorescent tubes that are controlled by smart dimming technology and are therefore more effective. The technology constantly measures the optimal intensity of light in individual rooms and adjusts the intensity of the lights according to actual needs. Where it is not needed at all, the technology switches the light completely off; for example in those parts of warehouses that use natural light from skylights in the roof. The lighting circuits in bottling house have been divided so that the lights switch on only in those places where it is actually needed.
“An effective and economical use of natural resources is one of the strategic priorities of our approach to sustainable development. It is important to us that accommodation of our daily needs, including energy demands, has no negative effect on the needs of future generations. Investing in projects such as this one is therefore a part of our strategy in this field. We support these efforts with investments of more 70 million CZK (about 350,000.00 USD) every year. Eighty percent of these investments is directed just to environmental projects that are aimed at more effective use of energy, the decreasing of water consumption and elimination of our so-called carbon imprint,” director of corporate relations and communication Drahomíra Mandíková said, explaining the wider implications of the project.
With the update of 257 lighting fixtures and the use of smart technology, Prazdroj will achieve direct energy savings of 198,000 kWh a year, which is the amount of energy needed to cover yearly lighting energy consumption of nearly 400 regular households.* The investment therefore has a five- to six-year return rate. The new lighting is also in compliance with technical and sanitation standards.**
* A typical household of four people consumes about 500 kWh of lighting energy per year.
** Sanitation standards set the intensity of lighting in working environment of this type at 200lx. (lux is the unit of lighting intensity)
Notes for editors
- With its total sale of nearly 9.9 million hectoliters during the calendar year of 2011 (including licensed products abroad) and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the preeminent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Ten priorities of corporate responsibility at Plzeňský Prazdroj: 1. Support for responsible alcohol consumption, 2. Reduction of water usage, 3. Reduction of energy usage and emission levels, 4. Recycling of packaging materials, 5. Moving towards zero waste production, 6. Cooperation with partners who share our corporate values, 7. Respect for human rights, 8. Support of HIV/AIDS elimination efforts, 9. Support for the development of regions and 10. Transparent communication and presentation of results.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj is one of the finalists in the European Business Awards 2012 contest supporting business success, innovation and ethics in business practise.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc. is a part of SABMiller plc. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world’s biggest companies, with beer production and distribution activities in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller portfolio includes important international brands such as Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and Pilsner Urquell, as well as almost 200 successful regional and national brands.
+420 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on 4th December 2012.