More than Twenty Thousand Visitors Visited Velké Popovice Brewery in 2011 (Translation)
13 January 2012
/Velké Popovice - January 11, 2012/ Record-breaking 28,496 visitors came to Velké Popovice brewery while tracing the steps of the brewery's mascot, the Billy-goat. That is an annual increase of more than 50%. Traditionally, domestic and Russian tourists came to visit the brewery. They are attracted to the brewery not only because of the rising popularity of Velké Popovice beer but also because of the attractive accompanying program and a number of new attractions being offered to the tourists by Velké Popovice Kozel beer brand every year.
The nearly 50% increase in the number of visitors coming to Velké Popovice brewery justifies the investments into the interior space and guided tour. "This year, we are bringing new attractions as well. During the fall, we have extended the tour by the area where the visitors may witness the process of fermentation and maturation of our beer. Because of that, our visitors can now sample Velkopopovický Kozel beer in the unique environment. We have further built a tunnel that connects the cellars with the bottling plant. We will ceremonially open this section of the brewery at the beginning of this tourist season," uncovered the plans Eva Kršňáková, Director of Visitor Center of Velké Popovice brewery.
Last year, organised visitor group visits prevailed above individual visits (60% vs. 40 %). Kozel enjoys a huge popularity abroad, especially in Russia. Visiting Russian tourists make the second highest number right after Czechs. Velké Popovice brewery has welcomed tourists from as far as South America and New Zealand as well. Increase in individual visits is seen especially among Czechs who prefer to spend their free time and vacation time at home. The picturesque, historic brewery with a 135 year-long tradition is a popular and well accessible weekend destination to, for example, cyclists from Prague, which is only about 9 miles away.
Every year, Velké Popovice brewery prepares an interesting program and a number of events for its visitors. A pork feast is among the most popular ones; nearly 2000 visitors came to take part at the feast last year. A tourist march in period costumes called "Across the Country of Baron Ringhoffer," Velké Popovice carnival with Kozel, firefighting contest of firefighting teams called "Billy-goat, the fireman, Billy-goat's Christmas time gift giving, and traditional June Beer Fest "Days of Kozel"; all of these events gained their popularity in their own right.
Billy-goat's store with original souvenirs is also part of the brewery. The most popular are the gifts and artifacts displaying Billy-goat's motto "Who knows, knows!", glassware, and T-shirts with the logos from the contest "Billy-goat, the fireman," but mainly it is a gift-pack of Velké Popovice Kozel Dark.
For more information contact:
Phone: 724 617 219
Notes for editors:
- Velké Popovice brewery is a part of Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc. company, which is one of the foremost beer producers in Central Europe. Plzeňský Prazdroj is also the biggest exporter of Czech beer exporting beer to more than 50 countries around the world.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, Inc. is member of SABMiller plc group, second largest beer producer in the world with beer making and distribution activities in more than 60 countries around the world across 6 continents.
- Velkopopovický Kozel is the brand with irreplaceable position in Plzeňský Prazdroj portfolio. It is a brand with the most dynamic business share increase on Czech as well as foreign markets. Velkopopovický Kozel Dark is also the leader among the dark beer brands on the Czech market.
- The first beer batch brewed in Velké Popovice brewery left its gates on 12. 15. 1874. A year later, 18,000 hectolitres of beer were sold. In just a few years, the brewery became the third biggest brewery in the country. It was especially renowned for its dark beers.
- You can find the updated information about projects supported by Velkopopovický Kozel brand at www.kozel.cz
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [11/01/2012].