To the Brewery to Enjoy Czech Christmas Bread “Vánočka”, Nativity Scene and Caroling (Translation)
6 December 2011
/Velké Popovice, December 5, 2011/ A traditional celebration of Christmas holiday will take place in Velké Popovice brewery on the third Sunday of Advent. The program includes not only a beer tasting but also building of Nativity scene, and picture exhibition will start at noon on Sunday, December 11. The local Elementary Art School will present program of caroling as a part of the celebration. The highlight of the event will be awarding the prize in the competition for the best traditional Czech Christmas bread where you can take part as well.
A carton of beer and many presents for the best Czech Christmas bread
The highlight of this year's "Billy-goat's" gift-giving will the first annual competition for the best traditional Czech Christmas bread known as "vánočka." The competition is open to public, and anyone can participate. Vánočka samples will be judged based on taste and design. Panel of judges will be made of all visitors of "Velkopopovická Kozlovna" restaurant, the place of the competition. Rewards are prepared not only for the creator of the winning entry but for all who will vote as well. Winners will take home a pack of Velké Popovice beer of their choice, gift basket, and a gift certificate redeemable in "Kozlovna." Selected voting participants will receive a set of "horny" pint beer glasses. A winning recipe will be published in Velkopopovický Newsletter, and displayed on the brewery's website.
You can reward yourselves with special "vánočka" from Velkopopovický Kozel. Dark Velkopopovický Kozel beer is added to the mix so you can experience its smooth and interesting taste. The recipe will be available to you to take home with you.
9:00 am - 11:00 am Enrolment of "vánočkas" to the competition
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm Visitors evaluation of "vánočkas"
16:30 Announcement of the best "vánočka,"
drawing of winning voting participants
All visitors have a unique chance to take part in a tour of newly accessible historic cellars as a part of the Christmas afternoon in the brewery. The tour starts by the visitors centre at 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and at 3:00 p.m.
Velké Popovice will have their own gingerbread Nativity scene
Velké Popovice Nativity scene will be created in "Kozlovna" pub. The 100 cm x 65 cm big wooden frame created by brewery's coopers will be adorned with gingerbread figurines that will be also made by visitors of the pub. "We already have a place for the Nativity scene prepared. During the Holidays, it will be a fresh new part of the already originally decorated space of the brewery's visitors centre, where it will be placed in one of the windows," said Eva Kršňáková, Director of brewery's visitors centre while expressing her excitement from visitors' surely positive reactions. All interested can take part in creating of the Nativity scene during the whole morning until noon.
A Christmas gift idea - a new collection of "Billy goat's" wear
During the event you can buy nontraditional gifts for your loved ones. The sale of a new collection of Billy goat's wear and other products will open In Billy goat's gift shop. During the period from December 12th to December 23rd, each visitor with the purchase of 300,- CZK value and higher will receive a small Christmas gift.
Carol singing and picture exhibition
Caroling is without contestation a traditional part of Christmas time. The students of Elementary Art School in Velké Popovice will assume this pleasure and honour. The choir will perform in front of the visitors centre at 3:00 p.m. Art lovers will appreciate the exhibition of abstract paintings by brewery's tour-guide Miss Hana Kroupová. The exhibition will be installed in the visitors center until the end of the year.
Notes for editors:
- The first beer batch brewed in Velké Popovice brewery left its gates on 12.15.1874. A year later, 18,000 hectolitres of beer was sold. In just a few years, the brewery became the third biggest brewery in the country. It was especially renowned for its dark beers. Velké Popovice brewery is a part of Plzeňský Prazdroj company.
- Visitors of the brewery may enjoy handicapped tour that introduces the history and the present of the brewery and its surroundings in an interesting and fun way. A live mascot of the brewery - billy-goat Olda - is a part of the tour.
- In 2011, brewery's "Billy-goat's" gift-shop experienced a rapid merchandise expansion as well as a rise in a number of shoppers.
- Branded restaurant "Velkopopovická Kozlovna" was open on the premises of the brewery last year. "Kozlovna" number six, with an attractive interior and unique unfiltered Velkopopovický Kozel beer, symbolically concludes the first phase of the new visitors tour of the brewery.
- The appeal of the brewery is supported especially by the number of cultural events taking place there every year.
- 19,000 visitors visited the brewery in 2010, and that is 40% increase comparing to 2009.
- With its total sale of 9,9 millions of hectolitres during the calendar year of 2010 (including licensed productions abroad) and with its export to more than 50 countries worldwide, Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the prominent beer producer in the region and the biggest exporter of the Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj Inc. is the member of SABMiller plc. group. Pilsner Urquell is the international flagship brand of the SABMiller brand portfolio.
- SABMiller plc. is one of the world's biggest beer brewing companies with beer brewing activities or distribution in more than 60 countries across six continents. SABMiller's brand group include such important brands as Pilsner Urquell, Miller Genuine Draft, Grolsch, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, and many other successful regional brands.
For more information contact:
Vladimír Jurina, Brand PR manager
Lucie Andrýsková, Ogilvy Public Relations
phone: (+420) 221 998 242, e-mail: email@example.com
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [05/12/2011].