In June, the Radegast brewery attracted a record breaking number of visitors (Translation)
20 July 2011
Nošovice, July 19, 2011 - A record-breaking number of visitors could be seen this year at the Radegast brewery. For example, in June it recorded the highest number of visitors per month in its 40-year history. The Visitors' Center and the sight-seeing tour around the brewery attracted 1,690 visitors. The record was broken on Tuesday, June 7th when the brewery was visited by a total of 154 people. In comparison with June 2010, interest in the brewery increased by 20%. The numbers for July are promising as well. From the beginning of this year, more than 5,000 visitors walked though the gates of the brewery to see how beer is brewed. Radegast receives yearly more than 9,000 visitors and it is an important tourist attraction of the region. Approximately the same number of visitors comes to the brewery as visit the Michal mine in Ostrava.
The main group of visitors consists of Czech tourists. The brewery also noticed an increase in interest from the bordering Poland. The biggest number of foreign tourists comes actually from Poland. "The brewery has an important position among tourist attractions in our region. People appreciate that they get close to the brewers and can watch them work from up close. They will also take with them a feeling of pride which is part of life of residents of Moravia," further explained manager of the Radegast brewery Ivo Kaňák.
This year, they would like to celebrate a new record number of visitors and would like to welcome a 10,000th visitor. "The more attractive sight-seeing tour and the new Visitors' Center, which we opened last year in September, should help us achieve this. Visitors can buy Radegast-related souvenirs in the Visitors' Center. The sale of T-shirts and beer glasses are doing well, but we are very pleased with the sale of beer, which locals come to buy here," says Martina Sikorová, manager of the Visitors' Center. "Whoever comes to the store for the first time appreciates that he/she is able to get a tour for free. However, if a visitor does not go directly into the brewery, he is not part of total count of visitors," informs Martina Sikorova.
The Visitors' Center is open during the summer season daily from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., except for holidays.
In comparison with last year, the number of tourists who visited the Moravia-Slezian region in the first quarter of 2011 increased by 9%. Visitors also spent more time in the region than last year. In comparison with other regions in Czech Republic, the Moravian-Slezian region is in 6th place.
Notes to editors:
- The Radegast brewery, one of the most modern breweries in Czech Republic, has been brewing beer since 1970.
- Since 1999, Radegast brewery is part of the largest beer conglomerate in Czech Republic, belonging to Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s.
- Yearly, it produces more than 2 million hectoliters of beer with the help of approximately 250 employees.
- It produces beer called "classic Czech lager" and it also produces high quality malt in its own malt house.
- In 2008, the brewery brewed its 10 billionth beer.
- With total sale of close to 10 million hectoliters in the 2010 calendar year (including licenced production abroad) and with export to more than 50 countries, Plzeňský Prazdroj a. s. is the leading producer of beer in the region and the biggest exporter of Czech beer.
- Plzeňský Prazdroj, a. s. is a member of the SABMiller PLC Company. Pilsner Urquell is an international flagship of SABMiller brands.
- SABMiller PLC is one of biggest beer companies in the world, with activities and distribution in more than 60 countries on six continents. Group of brands SABMiller includes important international brands such as Grolsh, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquell, and close to 200 successful regional and national brands.
Public Relations Officer
Ph. no: 724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on http://sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [19/07/2011].