Summer at Prazdroj is launching a music season full of good old bands and newcomers (Translation)
30 June 2011
Plzeň, June 28, 2011 - The traditional season of open-air concerts, Summer at Prazdroj, is starting its ninth year this Thursday, June 30th. During summer holidays, the courtyard of the brewery in Plzeň will host a competition every Thursday, Prazdroj's Talents, - this year's new event, where both professional bands and starting bands will compete. In duels, participants will try to win over fans who will vote with coupons at the concert or via text messages a week after a given performance. The ultimate winner will be decided by fans at the Pilsner Fest on August 26th and 27th. Visitors of the Summer at Prazdroj and members of the bands will be refreshed by Pilsner Urquell and Gambrinus from the tap.
Summer at Prazdroj, which is visited each year by close to 13 thousand people, will be especially attractive this year because of a full musical programme featuring professionals and spiced up by talented amateurs. From more than 50 bands, which registered in the "music band" category of the Prazdroj's Talents, a professional jury headed by Dan Bárta and Pavel Anděl chose twelve semifinalists. Their fate is now in the hands of the fans. Each Thursday, two bands will play for their votes and winners of these six duels will perform at the Pilsner Fest on August 26th and 27th. The fans' votes will ultimately decide who will win the competition and will also partially decide the programme for this year's Pilsner Fest, which will be the pinnacle of this year's summer season.
The main attractions of this year's Summer at Prazdroj will be well-known Czech bands. The first Thursday night will belong to rock band Clou. On the evening of July 7th, Basta Fidel from Prague will take over the stage. Their music is inspired by dancehall, reggae and music from the Balkans, with a hint of chanson, which is noticeable in the voice of the singer, Marquet. On July 14th, fans can look forward to a performance by five-time winner of the Anděl prize, Anny K. & Band. Local band, X-Cover, prepared for their fans their own interpretations of successful cover versions for July 21st and the last Thursday in July will bring attention to a legendary band, Blue Effect, led by Radim Hladík. Evenings featuring duels between competing bands will end on August 4th with a punk band, Znouzectnost.
On Thursday, July 11th Extra Band will shake the fans and will be followed by a fun punk band, Siláž. A week later, fans will be presented with both Selfish Son and the local Pilsen Queen Tribute Band, experienced musicians who give homage to the legendary band, Queen. On Thursday, August 25th the paralyzing band Sarin will be welcomed on the stage followed by a showman, Replay, who plays classical music instruments in a new way.
"Plzeňský Prazdroj wants to offer its fans and music lovers a small gift in the form of a cultural event, which is a series of concerts that finishes at the end of August with the Pilsner Fest," stated Jitka Froydová from Plzeňský Prazdroj.
The traditional series of concerts, Summer at Prazdroj, takes place in the courtyard of the brewery in Plzeň. This year's series starts on June 30th and concerts will take place every Thursday until August 25th, in any weather. Entry is free of charge and each concert starts at 7 p.m. Summer at Prazdroj is finishing on August 26th and 27th with the Pilsner Fest 2011, one of the biggest festivals celebrating great music and excellent beer.
A look at bands performing during Summer at Prazdroj:
|Date of Event||1. band||2. band||main performances by|
|July 7||Hoochachos||Kurvy z Prahy||BASTA FIDEL|
|July 14||The Contact||Ill Fish||ANNA K. BAND|
|July 21||Ocho Rios||Mourenec||X-COVER|
|July 28||StickX||Liwid||BLUE EFFECT|
|August 4||Green Smatroll||Grande Tete||ZNOUZECTNOST|
|Date of Event||main performances by|
|August 11||Extra Band Revival Silaz|
|August 18||Pilsen Queen Tribute Band Selfish Son|
|August 25||Sarin Replay|
|August 26-27||Pilsner Fest 2011|
Notes to editors:
- Activities of the Plzeň Prazdroj for visitors of the city of Plzeň include Visitors' Centre and sight-seeing tours of Pilsner Urquell and Gabrinus, followed by the Beer Museum and the historical underground area in the city centre.
- Inspiration to visit a brewery can be found on the following website www.prazdrojvisit.cz, which is dedicated to information about sightseeing tours and to all services offered to visitors to the brewery.
- Visitors can listen to the audio materials for the sightseeing tour in Czech, English, German, and also in French, Chinese and Russian.
- Part of services and features offered by the brewery is also the cultural and event centre, Secese, which can be used for parties, for cultural and educational events and for presentations.
- The beer museum in Plzeň is situated in the original brewery, which has been kept in its original state at Veleslavínova Street. The museum opened in 1959, for the 100th anniversary of the brand Pilsner beer.
- The 800-metre-long sight-seeing tour of the Plzeň Historical Underground can be accessed from the building of the Beer Museum. A labyrinth of halls, cellars and wells was built under the city of Plzeň in the 14th century and it is tied to the history and existence of the city.
- More than 226,000 visitors from all around the world visited the brewery, The Beer Museum and the Historical Underground in 2010. The Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Czech Republic.
- Department of Tourism and Care for Cultural Heritage also oversees sightseeing tours, tourism and the sale of souvenirs in breweries in Velké Popovice and Radegast. In 2010, more than 250,000 tourists visited all tourist attractions and places which are in the care of Plzeňský Prazdroj.
724 617 219
This SABMiller subsidiary news release has been translated from its local market language to English language for publication on www.sabmiller.com. We have attempted to provide an accurate translation of the original material but due to the difficulties of translation slight differences may exist.
Note, the news release was first published in its local market on [28/06/2011].